<VV> Leaking carbs update

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Jul 17 21:23:49 EDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Stephen Upham wrote:

> 	I was told by a club member with extensive knowledge of carbs to
> check the electric pump fuel output.  He stated that the pump should
> ideally be putting out about a pint every 45 seconds.  When I checked
> mine, it was putting out over a pint every 20 seconds.  Perhaps that
> is the reason for the venturi leaking fuel into the carbs.  I thought
> that electric pumps were supposed to get weaker when they failed, not
> stronger.

Be aware that flow is only half of the equation, you also want to
know the pressure, as discussed on the other thread.

> 	I'm in the process of replacing the fuel pump with a quieter version
> (65 decibels) rated from 1.5 - 5 lbs. and will be adding an
> adjustable fuel pressure regulator to boot.  The main thing that I'm
> missing is the oil pressure shut off switch which I really need to
> add (don't know the best method, though).

I think there's an article in the Tech Guide on it.  Roughly, you
could use a relay to power the pump, and ground the relay through the
switch.  Adding a separate manual switch would allow you to power the
pump to prime the engine after an extended sitting.

--Bryan