<VV> Carpet question...

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 18 15:09:08 EDT 2008

All factory carpet had the jute padding glued onto the back of the carpet.
It's also how most vendors supply replacement carpet. It's there for good
reason, and "being a purist" has nothing to do with it. First it provides
soundproofing and heat resistance. Also it covers up some of the unevenness
of the floor pan contours and anything else that may form irregularities on
the floor contour. And it provides the carpet some added "softness"
underfoot.

As far as removing the jute backing, why? If you want to "wash" the carpet
like an old t-shirt, you're in for a tough job, regardless. (For one, where
you going to find a washing machine that big?) Best clean the carpet like
you would your wall-to-wall house carpet. You CAN remove the front seat(s)
and rear seat bottom to make job access easier, but clean the carpet in
place with a commercial car carpet equipment or home-use cleaner system or
cleaner made for that purpose.

-Mark