<VV> Timing adjustments

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Jul 18 15:21:22 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/22/08 3:17:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
contactsmu at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Only the rear covers from the 60-63 stop at the 16 degree mark. - Jim
> Davis
>
> Guess what?   I have a 60-63 rear cover.  I cleaned it and it only
> goes to 16 - no if, ands, or buts.

While just messing around in my shop yesterday, I came across two loose rear
engine housings in a box. Thinking that I would relocate them I accidentally
looked at their timing scales. To my surprise, cast right into the housing was
a 0 to 16 on one housing and also cast in the other was a 0 to 18 scale.
Further checking of some engines identified several with the 0 to 18 scale. These
must have been all for 140 hp engines although I can't prove it. Also of
interest is the fact that both types have a 3817672 number cast in them. That means
we have two different castings both using the same part number. Thus the 0 to
18 must be a revised version.

Of course we know the turbo engines all used a rivited-on timing scale of 0
to 20 with 0 to 24 being obtained by going to the end of the attached piece.

Regards,
Bob Helt