<VV> Carb cleaning and trouble shooting

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 19 20:39:47 EDT 2008

I have one of the carbs torn opened up.  A couple of questions, I can
see where the straight part of the float spring goes into the arm(s)
of the float.  Where does the 90 degree bend part on the other end of
the spring rest.  It looks like it should be on top of the needle
seat.  I'm going to take it off again in order to check the needle
and seat and then I'll have to see if I need to adjust the floats.
There apparently was supposed to be a ruler included in the minor
rebuild kit as it is mentioned in the instructions.  There isn't
one.  I have a good method to measure the resting height when the top
is upside down (a 1/8 " drill bit laying on the horn gasket should
just touch the bottom of the floats), but I don't have a method for
checking the distance when the top is turned over in the normal
position.  I'm going to remove the venturi cluster clean it, and
replace its gasket, and I'm changing the jets to 50's (from 52's) as
it will be a while before there is any A/C.  Any thoughts about what
else I should do maintenance wise on carbs with such little use on
them would be appreciated.  I'll be working on them tonight.

Stephen Upham
Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110, Sierra Tan, Saddle