<VV> Carb update

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 20 12:19:19 EDT 2008

I got the carbs examined, cleaned, adjusted, put back together and
installed last night (worked until 3 a.m.).  I replaced the 52 jets
with 50's, replaced the venturi gaskets, both needles, needle seat,
and horn gaskets.  I adjusted the float levels using the 1/8" drill
bit method recommended by a well respected club member and used a
tape measurer to check the drop at 1 3/4".  I also hooked up the new
fuel pump.  When I turned the key to see if the fuel pump was working
(not starting the car), it took a few seconds to draw gas and then
ran very well.  When I went to look at the carbs, there was gas
pouring into the drivers side which I could see clearly as I had not
hooked up the choke.  There was gas on the shroud on that side and
the passenger side, too.  I quickly ran to the cabin and shut it
off.  I've gone over in my mind the things that I did internally and
I'm just sure that everything was installed in the correct locations
and adjusted per instructions.  I haven't torqued down the four (two
per side) carb hold down bolts, but I don't  see how this could
create the problem I experienced.  The only thing that I can think of
is there was something in the reattachment of the carbs that I did
incorrectly.  I need your advise and a review of the manual.

Stephen Upham