<VV> Carb update

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 14:08:35 EDT 2008

Stephen:
two things, gas pouring into the throat of the carb is likely that the float is not closing the inlet needle. Redo step one of the instruction sheet, meaning, check the tang that pushes on the inlet needle closed (or up), you may have to tweak it ever so slightly to close that needle off once the float chamber is full of gas.
second, if gas is pouring on to the shrouds, check to make sure you have the brass fuel filter is inserted correctly with the right small black gasket (came with the kit) and the large diameter gasket for the "big" nut on the "outide".
Also, make sure the air horn gasket (connects top and bottom), didn't pinch or bind up on anything when you reassembled and make sure all the slotted screws including the philips head screws are firmly and uniformly holding the casting together appropriately. Also verify that the castings are (or were) clean and smooth with no debris left over from the old gasket, just the slightest imperfection can cause a little seepage to occur at this "seam".
And, when I mounted my carb's to the intake manifold I placed a one gasket above and below the black insulator to insure no air or gas leakage there too.
Finally, if you do have an electric pump (as do I), invest in the shut off that any of our Vendors supply and recommend when using an electric pump, its added insurance and safety any old car should retain if at all possible.
Speaking of safety, working until 3AM is your call, but with corvair owners so few and far between, we cannot afford to loose any more to accidents resulting from fatique or the like-sort behavior. We want you around to enjoy the hobby and just like worktime and playtime, should be moderated to insure safety and enjoyment too!
Hope these tips help, I ran into similar issues when I recently did my first carb rebuilds. A well built carb makes any corvair run great!
Chris Mann