<VV> Carb update - continuous leak with electric pump

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Jul 20 18:07:13 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

> From: Stephen Upham
> Subject: Carb update
>>
> I got the carbs examined, cleaned, adjusted, put back together and
> installed last night (worked until 3 a.m.). I replaced the 52 jets
> with 50's, replaced the venturi gaskets, both needles, needle seat,
> and horn gaskets. I adjusted the float levels using the 1/8" drill
> bit method recommended by a well respected club member and used a
> tape measurer to check the drop at 1 3/4". I also hooked up the new
> fuel pump. When I turned the key to see if the fuel pump was working
> (not starting the car), it took a few seconds to draw gas and then
> ran very well. When I went to look at the carbs, there was gas
> pouring into the drivers side which I could see clearly as I had not
> hooked up the choke. There was gas on the shroud on that side and
> the passenger side, too. I quickly ran to the cabin and shut it
> off. I've gone over in my mind the things that I did internally and
> I'm just sure that everything was installed in the correct locations
> and adjusted per instructions. I haven't torqued down the four (two
> per side) carb hold down bolts, but I don't see how this could
> create the problem I experienced. The only thing that I can think of
> is there was something in the reattachment of the carbs that I did
> incorrectly. I need your advise and a review of the manual.
>
> Stephen Upham

The 1965 manual pages 6M-9 and 10 suggests with the cover inverted the lower (now upper) surfaces (not the seams?) should be 1-13/64 inch (1.203 inch) to the gasket and uniform within 1/32 inch.
If the float is "higher" (when in operating position), and high enough, the fuel will flow out that carb continuously with an electric pump.

If that float setting is close to right I'd suspect either -
- the float neede is not sealing to the seat.  I'd test by inverting the cover so the float is pushing the needle against the seat and blowing into the fule inlet.  I'd expect it to seal air tight.  Others have mentioned some combos of needles and seats have mismatched diameters and can't seal.
- The fuel pressure is sky high. Without one of these http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/05511.jpg
I'd be guessing about repairs based only on symptoms, and I hate to guess.

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge of it is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind....."  - Lord Kelvin

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA