<VV> my first solo in my third corvair (3rd meaning 1st usable)

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 23:38:23 EDT 2008

Hey guys:
Went up to my friends shop after dinner to pick up my car. I had to work today and so he is the one that actually finished up the PG cable selector shifty thingy project. I drove my first solo in my 69 convertible this evening, after two months of rehabilitating the fuel system and replacing the torque converter, amongst other little tidbit repairs.
It was a 40 mile trip and took about an hour, when I first got under way, I immediately discovered that I felt like the car was in "L" and it wasn't shifting like it should. So I babied it for awhile staying under 30 and driving some obscure country roads. And then I let of the accelerator at one point and laid into it (accelerator) and it seemed to shift the rpm's dropped and I went sailing. SO my immediate belief that it was stuck in low gear diminished.
HOWEVER, it was not to be all swell and dandy. I pulled over after 20 minutes and just did a walk around to make sure nothing stupid was going on in and around the car.
The vacuum line off of the distributor had fallen off, so I reconnected that and the choke arm fell off one of the carb's, so with a slotted screwdriver, I managed to rectify that little problem.
But I do seem to continue to have a shifting problem, at times it even feels like the car is slipping, the engine rpm's go up but I felt like I was coasting. I let off the gas an lay into it gently and it seems to catch alright.
I really hate to believe that all this is REALLY the two speed powerglide acting up. I was pondering the idea that maybe the vacuum modulator or governer(?) might be a part that is faulty or worth considering before pointing my finger at a PG replacement.
If it were the modulator or governor, what kinds of symptoms would I expect?
At any rate, the ride was a joy, I stopped for gas, and silly me, had to back up at the pump, the filler is in front! ha. And so made it home just fine, got to be a fair amount of smoke towards the end there, I seem to have some bad seals in and round the engine, not surprising, but nonetheless, I have a running, starting, driving corvair convertible. Naturally I had the top down. My and two kids were the chase vehicle, and she made several nice remarks about how the car looked, which was nice to hear from her, because I know she thinks I  am nuts anyway.
The only other item that came up as a must do, is that after putting gas in, and topping the tank off, I smelled gas and once I got home I checked it out and all it was a corroded gas return line, of which is not functional because of the electric fuel pump. I can easily get that rectified. Its this shifting problem with the PG that has me wondering.
She stops starts, idles, and drives pretty decent, I even got a few windy twisty roads in on the deal and goofed around a little bit to get a feel for the "weight in the back" and it was interesting, the steering is very light and i felt like I could throw it around much more than a conventional car.
So if you guys could point me in the right direction, I would like to continue to get this PG taken care of the right way. Yes, I checked the tranny fluid and it was up and fine and did not have any ununusual odor either.
Chris Mann
69 monza convertible 110/pg
p.s. I forgot the digital camera and was unable to make the video I promised. I used my cell phone for a minute but quality and clarity was not all that good.