<VV> It has Started

corvair at mts.net corvair at mts.net
Tue Jul 22 15:43:46 EDT 2008

Frank,

I'm working on the same kind of project (since 1995.... no, not done yet, basically engine, top, interior left to install). You're into some fun times. The hardest part is forcing yourself to keep at it. I found the second hardest part to be figuring out the correct fasteners for each piece, finding them and cleaning them up! The big assemblies are not too hard to deal with.

You really need the assembly manual, body manual, and chassis service manual from Clark's (or your favourite alternate vendor). The assembly manual is especially valuable. An old junker parts car is great to have too - both for scrounging bits that you can't find or have gotten lost over the years, and for using as a model to see how things go together.

My '65 Corsa (Canadian convert, 140/4) had EVERYTHING removed (every single unboltable piece, including the lines, wiring, etc). All the parts were in a trailer 200 miles from where the car sat on sawhorses, and had been picked over a little to rebuild another car. Just like you, I never saw the car together or on wheels until I did it myself.

I did the "paint your own car" course with my '63 Spyder coupe. I think I signed up for 2 sessions in a row (about 9 classes each, 3 hours once a week, total of  about 50+ hours work). The end result was pretty positive and I learned a lot:

http://www.cybrus.net/LHonke/Spydersale/rightfront.jpg

Have fun and work through the frustrations...
Les
corvair at mts.net
Message: 1