<VV> My 69's Finished - Almost - Monza Super Sport

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 16:17:00 EDT 2008

                                                 B"H

After a little blood (banged the screwdriver on my hand), LOTS of sweat and some tears, I finally got most of the trim off my Monza coupe.  After the trim was off, I repaired all the rust around the cowl and rear wheel well area with fiberglass and Bondo, feathered all the paint chips, then sealed the repairs with good quality primer.

I also moved the antenna to the rear of the car, and kept a number of previous interior mods for comfort and convenience (upgraded bucket seats, t-bar shift handle, '68 DeLuxe steering wheel).  Outside, I had added  "BY CHEVROLET" bar emblems under the "Corvair" scripts (the other Chevys had it in '69, was GM too embarrassed to add it to the Vair?).  These were retained after the paint job.

I couldn't find a shop that would do a decent job for less than $1,000, not unreasonable, but beyond my means!  So I decided to check out Earl Scheib.  Before you all groan, I had a car done by them a number of years ago and it came out very nice!  So, I checked them out again, and (to make a long story short) they were running a sale on their Premium Platinum service, full machine sanding, primer/sealer, two coats of color poly, and two coats of clear for less than $600. including all their fees and sales tax.  I got $1200 for a fender bender where a guy sideswiped our van, and I fixed meself that one for the cost of paint and a couple of fasteners.  I told the manager all the work (2 weeks worth!) I had put into the body, repairing the rust, spot priming, removing all the emblems and trim, etc. and I think he was impressed.  He assured me he'd do a quality job, and they have a color that is pretty much on the money with GM's Azure Turquoise Metallic
 (1969 color code 55).

3 days later, the car was ready, and boy, did it come out BEAUTIFUL!  A nice, glossy finish with a bright, but deep, metallic glow.

As I was thinking about putting the trim back on, it occurred to me that I had more than once, dreamed about a "what if" where Chevy had offered a Super Sport package (Z03) for the Monza!  After the Corsa was axed, they just sort of let the car die a slow death, taking some of the excitement away by axing the turbo, A/C, adding smog gear, you all know the story.  But what if they had offered an SS package with SS emblems, special wheel covers, interior trim, upgraded engine, etc.  Perhaps they would have garnered more orders in excess of the 6,000 cars built!

So, I decided I could build one (I guess my car is now considered as a "mild custom") while I was putting the car back together!  I researched what emblems were needed based on what Chevy was doing with Impalas, Chevelles, Novas, etc. in the Sixties.  I got used Monza script from e-bay off a Seventies Monza, SS emblems as repros from the '64 Chevelle, and I made the wheel cover centers myself using Microsoft Publisher, and had the printout laminated with thick plastic.  I think the car came out pretty good!

Please take a look at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27271913@N00/

I'd be curious to know what you guys think.  Keep in mind the paint still needs to be compounded after it cures (the shop manager told me to wait about 4 weeks), so it will be even better!

So this means I have the only "Z03" Monza in exstence?  I'm VERY happy with the way the car came out, even though it's really an "amateur" job.

Regards to all...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza (SS) Coupe 110 PG