<VV> Headlights

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 22 23:41:57 EDT 2008

Dan Kidder, Daytona Beach, FL wrote:

>Perhaps the way the relays are?wired?they?are sending?that 12 volt power to both the high and low beam terminals on the headlamps when the high beams are turned on.

I think Dan has this right -- we don't know how the lights are actually
wired, so we can't really "know" what is going on, we can only make
guesses from the evidence presented.

If this hi beam breaker kills both hi and low beams, do you mean the hi
beam filament in the lo beam headlight, or the lo beam filament in the
lo beam headlight?  With the breaker out, can the lo beams be switched
on with the dimmer switch?  If so, it sounds like everything could be
normal (like stock oem) and properly wired. If the dimmer switch does
not turn on the lo filament in the lo beam headlights when the hi beam
breaker blows, you got wiring problems/issues that need to be addressed.

Relays and headlights can be installed to make all sorts of wierd
combinations happen, not all necessarily law enforcement / DOT approved
-- four low beam units simultaneously for example (you live where
there's lots of fog), or maybe one H-3 hi beam on one side and two low
beam hi filaments on the other ...

If the dimmer switch or connection thereto don't look pristine, now
would be a good time to replace both switch and connection terminals,
regardless.

Bill Strickland