<VV> CarbRepair Update

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Thu Jul 24 16:07:07 EDT 2008

Smitty Says:  OK I think I am near enough ready for Indy to spend some time here.  Steve one thing you must realize and it seems a lot of others need to be reminded too , is that the top gasket has a job to do beside keeping the fuel from sloshing out.  That area where the long mounting bolt penetrates the carb often gets distorted from people overtightning the nut.  That causes a bow in the carb top.  The accel pump can no longer give a squirt because when it pumps it mearly pushes a flood of fuel through the gasket line next to the pump.  The top has to be straight for the gasket to seal there.  Lay a steel straight edge on the gasket surface of the upper body and look for air gaps.  With a little finesse the top can be straightened using a couple blocks of wood and a bench vise.  Be careful.  THe carb material is somewhat brittle.  Using the same reasoning, any tears in that area in the gasket can cause the same problem.