<VV> Rejoining the list & quick trailering question

Robin Fraser sanrraa at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 13:01:20 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I had been a member back in 97/98 when I had my first '63 convertible until I wrecked the car.  Insurance totaled it but it was repairable so I kept it.  I ended up selling it later that year to someone who could get it repaired.  I ended up leaving the list around that time as well.

Out of the blue in 2005 my dad, for Xmas, gave me a '63 convertible that he had picked up on Ebay and had it finished off.  Due to some issues it ended up in storage for a year before going to Barding's garage in Decatur, Illinois.  I just got it back in June and we were in the process of working some bugs out and it ran great for about 3 weeks.  I probably put on about 400 miles driving it around.  We had new carbs (rebuilt) coming in for it and on the way down to Decatur the Corvair lost power and I managed to get it off the highway.  Dad came in with the trailer and we got it down to the shop.  Gunk in the old tank is our guess.

Well dad has since gone back home to Ohio with that handy trailer of his.  The car should be done today or tomorrow and I will need to rent a trailer from Uhaul to bring it back home with.  Here are some of the requirements that uhaul listed that I am not sure if my '63 meets:

The vehicle being towed:
	* Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 79.25"
Note: outside tire width over 75" must use late-model U-Haul Auto Transport  (identifiable by silver galvanized color).
	* Must have a maximum wheelbase (distance from front axle to rear axle,  usually posted on the driver's side door jamb) of 133 inches.
	* Low-hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers,  air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the Auto  Transport during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance  for these items.I have a Yukon so towing it won't be a problem.  Just wanted to make sure I'm A-OK to put this car on one of their trailers.  If you need more info from me regarding the car let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm glad to be back after all these years!!!

Robin Fraser
sanrraa at yahoo.com
http://www.ilstu.edu/~rfraser/index.html (photos of the old and new cars)