<VV> Roof Replacement

iscdirector iscdirector at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 18:50:28 EDT 2008

My first Corvair was a very tired and rusty 61 four door 700. I got it for free and decided to make a daily driver out of it. The big problem was the roof, I noticed the drip rail trim was loose and upon removing the trim saw that the drip rail was almost completely rusted away. I acquired a very nice roof off a 60 in a junk yard for $35 and went to work. The donor roof had been cut off at the base of the pillar posts. I removed all the glass and measured the front and rear window openings at each end and in the center and made notes to be used when the new roof was welded on. Then I measured from the top to the middle on all 6 posts and made marks for cutting. Also I marked the inside and outside of each post at that point so they would be square (sort of). Then I cut them with a sawzall being careful to cut on the marks. I cut all 6 posts and removed the roof. Then I measured down from the top of the donor roof and marked and cut it the same way.
 When the new roof was set in place the biggest gap I had was 1/8 inch, the front and rear glass fit, and the doors closed fine. The only caution is you need to peel back the thin outer skin that is on some of the posts so the inner bracing can be welded for strength then tap the thin metal back down and weld it also. Don't forget the wire going to the dome lamp is inside the left "A" pillar. I drove that car to work everyday for many years and had no trouble steming from the roof replacment.
Dan Kidder
Daytona Beach

In a message dated 7/27/2008 6:02:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,