<VV> Carb adjustment (and now repair) update

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 29 19:26:24 EDT 2008

I'm currently waiting for the replacement carb horn to put my right
carb back together.  I ordered extra inlet gaskets in case I damaged
the one that I have.  What I forgot to order was the thin (1/64")
gasket material that goes on either side of the base insulator
(apparently not stock, but recommended).  The right side gaskets are
ok, but the left has that nasty missing piece (1/4" wide) on the far
side of the long bolt for the carb to mount on.   Is it leaking?
Perhaps, perhaps not, but it seems it would be better to replace it :
remember the shaky vacuum needle off of the choke control and the
PG's failure to shift smoothly.  I have added adjustable hose bands
to the cross over at the carbs and at the line to modulator
connection under the car, but yet to test).   Quandary, now that the
parts are on their way, I would have to reorder, pay about double the
price of the parts to send them, and probably not have a ice cube's
chance of getting the car running by Saturday for the club meeting.
So...I went to the FLAPS to see what was available.  What I found was
gasket material that I could use to make my own gaskets.  It states
that it is good for timing covers, fuel pump mounting, differential
covers, and distributor bases - rubber fiber that is good for sealing
oil, water, or gasoline and manufactured by Fel-Pro Gaskets (a
division of Federal-Mogul Corp.).   I would be able to use the
insulator as a template to draw the dimensions, cut it out using an x-
acto knife, and install.  The rub is that the closest thing I could
find to 1/64" was 1/32", or double the thickness that the vendors
sell.  Will this cause a problem, or do I have a green light to hit
the garage?

Thanks for all of your help, I'm within days of finally solving the
dripping carbs and wheel cylinder problems and getting that baby out
of the garage.

Stephen Upham