<VV> 84hp powerglide MPH--------140 conversion?????

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Jul 31 00:45:10 EDT 2008

Mike wrote:
My new 63 Corvan 84hp powerglide is getting very poor gas mileage .(13.5mpg)
I have tried just about everything to do better but to no avail. I am at the
point and starting to believe it is just too under powered. My 65 Brier 110
4spd got close to 20mpg .

?I need to pull the engine due to an oil leak so am thinking about
installing a rebuilt 140hp powerglide motor I had slated to install in a 68
coupe(Sold the car due to to many projects so engine just stilling there)
If?I do so I will pickle the 84 hp and save for future owner if i ever sell
it for?sake of origionality Any thoughts either way?
?Mike Moyer

Craig replies:
Lots of folks have used 140 engines in FCs.  I had an extra heavy (3800#) FC
camper with which I towed my Corvair dune buggy and many other things for
about 12 years.  In that time, I dropped one valve seat, which didn't
surprise me since the head temp frequently reached 525-degrees as I climbed
the CA mountains with that freight train.  At first it was an MT 140 in
front of a 3.55 manual transaxle but for the last couple of years that I
owned it, I switched to a PG140 and PG transaxle and after serving me, that
engine combination faithfully served the subsequent owner for years. I had
an oil temperature gauge, which seemed to be a much better indicator of
engine load than the head temp, which seemed to remain relatively constant.
The two engines had Otto pans and covers, but were otherwise stock.  The
ideal setup would have been the PG140 engine in front of a 3.27/3.65 manual
transaxle. I never checked the mileage with the PG, but with the MT it got
18-22 MPG.
Craig Nicol