<VV> 1963 Corvair/alternator

Kerry and jan B deaconone at teleweb.net
Thu Jul 31 22:17:40 EDT 2008

Hi,

My car has been upgraded to an alternator with an internal regulator. My
problem is that suddenly the charge light has been coming on. Sometimes
dimly, sometimes bright. It may stay on or may go back off for a time.
All of this seems to be independent of engine speed.  I haven't had a
chance to check the charging voltage.  I have a couple of questions.
First is, is this always an alternator problem or is there something
else I should be checking?

The second issue is trying to identify the alternator. It has a two wire
plug on the top side near the rear with a brown and pink/red(ish) wire
and a heavier red wire that is bolted to a stud on the back. Does this
sound like a standard Corvair alternator?  My alternator is polished and
I hate to lose it. Is it possible to have it rebuilt??

Any help welcomed and appreciated..

Kerry Born
1963 Spyder, convertible