<VV> Tire Pressures with Modern Tires

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Sun Jun 1 09:56:11 EDT 2008

The only time I've run that high a pressure in the tires, was when I was
autocrossing, to help resist tire deflection and be able to induce oversteer
more easily.

You definitely get less rolling resistance, but you also get less lateral
and
braking grip, due to the shrinking contact patch.

Try the higher inflation pressures out at a local mall parking lot, where
you
can really feel how well, or poorly, the car behaves in hard turns and
braking
on asphalt. If you can handle it there, under those anticipated conditions,
you might not get such a nasty surprise during real-world, emergency
conditions
on the road.

Your present pressures sound like you're at the upper limit already, for
normal
road use and more pressure wouldn't really reduce rolling resistance enough,
to justify the additional loss of traction.

Mel Francis
65 Monza conv