<VV> Tire Pressures with Modern Tires

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sun Jun 1 10:50:01 EDT 2008

On Jun 1, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Mikeamauro at aol.com wrote:

> I'm running 205 14s on my late model, mounted on Camaro rally wheels
> (I
> know, that's a lot of tire for the vehicle, but I like how they
> look, so lets
> move on ;>). The tires are Brigdestone Turanzas, with a  max
> inflation of 44
> psig. To reduce rolling resistance, I'm running 24 lbs in  the
> fronts, and 38 in
> the rears (cold). Seems to handle just fine on the  highway, but I'm
> considering upping the rears to 44, and the fronts  to about 12 to
> 14 less than the
> rears. Has anyone out there tried this  or similar pressures. Results?

The only times I've ever run the kind of pressures you are proposing
is in an economy run. I think you'll find the ride will suffer and the
steering will become twitchy. As another responder pointed out, you're
probably near the upper limit already.

I wonder what size your tires are - 205/70's? 205/60's? It doesn't
really matter. My fronts are 205/45-16's. I like to run a little more
pressure in them as it lightens up the steering with the aftermarket
quick steering arms I use. I usually run about 24 pounds in them,
maybe even 26, as opposed to 20 or 22. My 225/50-16's on the rear
don't seem to feel much different with different pressures. I usually
run 8-10 pounds more than the fronts.

If you try extreme pressures, to get another tenth of a mile per
gallon, I suggest you go to a big parking lot and drive around and saw
the steering wheel back and forth to simulate quick, emergency-type
manuevers. Be sure the resultant handling is what you can live with.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC