<VV> short shifter nonsense? was: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 41, Issue 7

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 10:21:41 EDT 2008

Now you did it, Mike. Had to throw down that gauntlet, didn't you?

Well, despite PART NUMBER documentation to the contrary, explain this
incident to me. I had a '69 4speed that had what I felt was a long throw to
it. Second was far back, while third seemed almost under the dash. I
installed (the only change done) a Corsa shift lever, and suddenly the
shift distance was shorter. Visually, I couldn't detect any measurement
difference in the shifters. But the results sure were noticably different.
This is practical experience, not part number research, speaking. And I
can't otherwise explain it. Can you?

Oh, BTW, I've seen other cases where part numbers were the same, but the
parts weren't (or vice versa). GM is notorious for part/part number
shinanigans. I know, because I worked for them, and performed some of those
shinanigans. My dad (when he worked in a dealership) also saw (and did)
them as well (and told me that, many years later).

All I can say is that there MAY be a difference in results that is not
documented (or documentable) in part numbers or measurements.

-Mark