<VV> Steering box lube

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Tue Jun 3 09:31:42 EDT 2008

At 16:52 5/31/2008 -0400, Dave Thompson wrote:
>I just received my steering box rebuild kit from one of our venders. I got
>the full kit with races. I also got a new nylon pitman arm bushing. I will
>not have time to do the job for a week or so. I have studied several manuals
>and I don't think I should have too much trouble with it. However, I was
>unable to find any information on what lubricant to fill the box with. I
>have a gallon bottle of 90 weight that I have had since the 80's. It is left
>over from a Mustang rear end & trans job. Is it correct? Is the gear oil too
>old to use?

I do not think that the gear lube is too old but its viscosity is quite a
bit thinner that the original lubricant and will likely seep past the seals.

Some have suggested a mixture of 50:50 gear lube and #2 chassis grease but
I suggest the following:

1) Grease is available in different viscosities, standard grease is NLGI
#2, but UP North here #1 is commonly on the shelf at my FLAPS for winter
use--this is still too thick.  I believe that the original Corvair steering
box lube was NLGI #00 grease.  Amsoil sells a synthetic version (semi-fluid
EP grease) but it is only available in 35 lb pails.  You may want to ask at
your FLAPS for the Mobil equivalent, SHC 007, in a smaller package.

2) I have not looked at this, but Amsoil now sells a SAE-250 weight gear
lube for special (racing) applications.  This might be heavy enough to not
seep past the seals.  If there is enough interest I could perhaps buy a
quart and check it out.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI