<VV> Air-cooled 'V' configuration motors

David B. Neale david.neale3 at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 5 19:10:14 EDT 2008

"The only V type air cooled car engines I am aware of are Tatras and ZAZs."

Zaporozhets manufactured an air-cooled V4 motor for many years. The engine was used in a series of small cars over the years,
and the later ones were without a doubt modelled on the early-model Corvair, (like some Western European cars of the '60s.)
Late-model cars had a pair of air-scoops, one either side of the body alongside the engine compartment, and looked like a pair of ears ... the cars were prone to overheating ... the Zaporozhets plant is in Ukraine.

I seem to remember that the engine was about 600 c.c.,( about 36 cubic inches).

A Russian fellow .... Vladimir Putin .... reminisced about his first car, a late-model Zaporozhets, not long before he allegedly left office, and was presented with a mint, rebuilt late model.

Here in Britain Morgan, in the 1930s, produced a car using an 1100 c.c. air-cooled twin.  The motor was manufactured by JAP, (J.A. Prestwich.)  Mint examples are worth .. well, a mint, these days.

If anyone has any information regarding a V1 design, please contact me off-board.

David