<VV> Bad listening... wrong diagnostic

D. Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Fri Jun 6 18:25:27 EDT 2008

    About a month ago my 62 Rampside started with some kind of chirping noise (pinging ?), coming from the engine (110) at accelerating or under load. I associated this noise with timing or using of regular gas so, tried premium... no success, retarded time... no success... disconected vacuum advance... the same.
    Decided to drive real gently till my neurones could find a solution... no success. A week ago stored it and took "El Andariego" (67 cpe), filled up the tank accidentaly with regular (it likes premium) and, after a few miles, started pinging. Then, I began thinking (?) that this noise was similar but, not the same as in the Rampy. Could be a loose head ? or bad head gaskets ?
    This morning, lifted her up, checked upper head nuts... good. Removed valve covers, then rocker arms (one by one) on right head... all good. Went to the left head where 5 of the 6 rocker arm studs came out while loosening the adjusting nuts. Readjusted all the stuff hoping the head gaskets were still good. Started engine, connected vacuum advance hose, advanced timing some 5 degrees, took her out for testing.... no more noise and the engine feels and responds real good.

    I think that many of you could have differentiate easily between pinging noise and head gasket leaking noise but, think that I need to replace the interface between my ears and brain. I should pay more attention the next time.

    Daniel Monasterio
PS. Will miss Ventura (sniff) but... the GB is not finished yet.