<VV> Dealer ordered options

Marc Sheridan sheridanma1966 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 22:08:24 EDT 2008

>From what I remember, you couldn't go less than the standard features, hence
no 95/PG Corsas, but everything above that was available piece by piece. Of
course there were the COPO cars, but they were usually only approved for
performance applications.

I believe it was the Japanese that first started offering options packages
that greatly reduced production costs. Instead of hundreds of different
combinations of cars, they reduced it to just a few.

I can't remember when GM finally saw the "option package" light, but I
remember it was great fun ordering my late seventies Olds Cutlass. The
salesman (they were all men then :o)) got so frustrated answering my
questions and demands that he just handed me the book and the order sheet,
which is what I was hoping for.

Marc Sheridan