<VV> Air-cooled V engines (very little Corvair) - was: v-stylecorvair eng...

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Sat Jun 7 00:21:35 EDT 2008

YES!!!  M88 Tank Retriever was an awesome runner... AFAIR  1000  hp Gasoline
/ Supercharged!

Always fun to see 1 M60  slung between 2  M-88's.... with a  DragonWagon [
Lincoln V-12 gas with 36 speeds / 10 wheel drive] lowboy backing  under neath!

Drove them when ever they needed one ferried somwhere...  BUT   they were
WIMPS!!!   ggg

Had only the 1 M-2  50 cal  for armament....   M60 had  105 mm   /M-85 - 50
cal. [ 1000 rounds per minute]  AND the 7.62  M-37 Co-axial machine gun with
2500 round belts.....

I've probably personally KILLED 2,000  Troops with that  Co-ax!!...Luckily
they were all Carboard silhouettes!!

Matt Nall

 _mioanes at woh.rr.com_ (mailto:mioanes at woh.rr.com)   writes:

Another  Continental engine that appeared to be built on the same block was
the  AVSI 1790 (Aircooled, Vee-type, Spark Ignition)  that was (still) in the

M88 recovery vehicle during my first enlistment (1975-78).  Had dual
magnetos and ran like stink when everything was right.  The AVDS  (Aircooled,
Vee-type, Diesel, Supercharged) was alive and well in the  M88A1 when I
retired in 1995.

Did a web search for some of the  above-mentioned vehicles and fond
iformation that said,wors to the effect  of "M88 was unable to tow the M1
tank"  B***s**t!
It wasn't rated  to pull the M1 because the M1 was heavier.  You were
*supposed* to  use a braking vehicle, but that never happened, at least at
relatively  flat Ft. Riley.

Mike Ioanes
M88 was my favorite vehicle to tc

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.