<VV> How my car ended up this way

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Sun Jun 8 20:08:10 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/8/2008 11:04:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
1877colt at sbcglobal.net writes:

My first one was a 67' 4 door, loved the looks of that four  door, but it had
a broken front cross-member...So bought a 65' rag top and drove  it until a
piston broke. That's when I found out people usually wont touch
corvairs...Managed to find a person that used a piston out of the 67' and got it
running...lasted for a couple of years then broke another piston in the  engine... so
decided to "fix it right" ordered all new parts for the  motor...pistons, rings,
rods, cam, crank, etc...etc...spent a lot of money on  that. Put it together
and it never ran, no idea why, read a shop manual  (Chilton's), and "thought I
did it right", guess not. So junked the 4-door and  the vert. (except the
engine) bought a 66' turbo with low miles and single  owner. Flywheel was
bad...Since I had to fix the flywheel I got a bit carried  away, took out the power
train, took the motor apart with all the new stuff,  thought I'd "rebuild the
turbo motor" with all the new parts that were in the  one that
never  ran.

I feel for you folks born 30 years too late!!! ggg Especially east  coasters
and mid-westerners,,,

In the 50's  we saw the 1st powered lawnmowers....very unreliable [  points
under flywheel]  and were forced to LEARN  ignition  principles....and kids got
GoKarts...  same engines!

Then in the 60's in So Cal / SW...Dunebuggies.... Volkswagen Horizontal
4's...but only the 1 carb in the center!   1/2 the mystery to  solve...

Then we wanted more power and there were so many Corvairs around... and
adapters readily available at every VW shop....we then figured out the 2 carb
thing...

And MALE EGO  was not allowing us to FAIL when rebuilding  /  repairing
engines!   Also, we were not pestered by pedophiles, etc..  so  when a 20-30 yr.
old asked a 10 year old to come in his garage and turn  the ignition key on the
car he had just rebuilt the engine in... we went  willingly!  And learned
about setting valve and timing engines...and this  same guy was WELCOME to come
over to your house and help you with YOUR  engine!  Your MOM  would always bake
cookies or something  to  celebrate getting it going again!  gggg

 NowaDaZe.... most born after 1975  do not know what a  carburetor is..how it
functions....what "points " are.....where us older folks  have had  decades
to move up to the modern technology...  Slowly!

You are just lucky, in the last 15 years.. we now have the  Internet...
Worldwide HELP  instantly!

 We have members in   Canada, Mexico, Europe, Australia,  South Africa, and
S. America!

ps  lots of easy to read "do it yourself" articles on my  website!

Matt  Nall
All Vairs!
_http://members.aol.com/patiomatt_ (http://members.aol.com/patiomatt)
somewhere  between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay.  OR.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.