<VV> Solar Cavalier

bub049 at comcast.net bub049 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 23:29:32 EDT 2008

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 18:51:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: cfm <cfmann at yahoo.com>
Subject: <VV> a kelmark conversion? anyone interested?
To: Virtual Vairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>

doing my daily dose of usa wide search for unique corvairs:

here's one near detroit, it has a kelmark tail light assembly? not sure but
figure some of you see the rear cowl as unique....

http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/710056983.html

snipped and pasted below as it appears on craiglist....
65 chevy corvair resto project - $1100 (clinton twp)
---------------------------------
 Reply to: see below
 Date: 2008-06-06,  1:55PM EDT

 ive got a 65 chevy corvair that needs a new home, someone to put her back on
the road. i dont have the time nor the place to do it and i hate to see it go. i
will trade!!! let me know what you got!!!! the car needs a starter and a
windshield to get it road worthy!!call 248-242-2733 or email jdwoline at yahoo.com

It looks like what you have found is a fairly rare Solar Cavalier.  Art Herschberger of Princeton, Wisconsin produced these for a couple of years in the mid 70's.  He produced engines much along the style of Don Yenko with different "stages" of horsepower/performance.  He also sold Fitch Sprint style fibreglass roofs.  One of his trademarks was the use of Camaro tail light assemblies.  A good friend of mine, Skip Reineke, went down from St Paul to help Art from time to time when he would get behind on his bodywork.  The late Tony Fiore owned the only 4 door Cavalier produced. Art brought a couple of Cavaliers up to one of our chapter meetings, I believe it was in October of 1974.
We also had a talk and demo by a Bricklin rep around the same time. He didn't have any cars to show us, but everyone at the meeting got a little sample piece of the Bricklin composite body material.

BobJ
Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA Since '72