<VV> Needing a part...

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Jun 10 07:12:08 EDT 2008

This problem was common on mid 60s Cadillacs.  With all the power going
through it the ignition switch would get too hot and melt the plastic.  Sometimes
the key would get too hot to hold when pulled from the  switch ... The fix was to
remove the plastic retainer and clean the melted plastic off the connection prongs
on the back of the switch then, one at a time,  pull [break the plastic] wires out
and clean the melted plastic off the ends and put them back on the ignition switch
without the plastic part.  This allowed enough air around the connections to
keep them cooler and there is no more melted plastic to break the connections.

Ken P.