<VV> museum today and history

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Jun 11 07:37:16 EDT 2008

"Mike Clark" said [in part]:
a museum of Corvair only is very doable.  Doesn't have to be big.
Doesn't have to be "centrally located."  Doesn't have to have only Corvairs.
A place to have all the cars and all the stuff together and displayed would
be a huge benefit to the club.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As Mark pointed out there IS a museum ... with a nice selection of Corvairs
and items.  If you really want to see it consider attending the Detroit Area
Corvair Club Homecoming.  August 21 to 24 is the date and Comfort Inn
Clocktower [734] 455-8100 in Plymouth MI just west of Detroit is the location.

In addition to the Corvair Museum the DACC has been invited to visit the GM
Heritage Center, hit of the 2007 Convention, on Friday August 22 from 11 to
3 PM for self guided tours of GM cars of historical interest.  We are pretty sure
there will be a selection of GM owned Corvair show cars.

Contact Pete Cimbala  [810] 621-9866 -or- [810] 635-4152
Corvairkid1963 at power-net.net
You can register on line:  http//DACC.provide.net   and click on the link

Museum History:
Quite a number of years ago the DACC initiated a study to create a Corvair
Museum; investigated the possibility of Corvair only and combining with an
established museum.  At that time we were informed there was another group
[name and location has escaped me at the moment] that announced they
were in the process of setting up a Corvair only museum.  The DACC
discontinued their study.

Plans for that other museum fell through then through a series of events the
collection of museum items were shipped to Pete Cimbala and to the Ypsilanti
Heritage Museum which is located just a few miles from the Willow Run
Assembly plant and are currently on display.  Mark is unhappy that his car is
not on display [can't blame him for that] but as with any museum not everything
is on display all the time.  Still, the Ypsilanti Heritage Museum is properly
funded and is likely to keep the Corvair items on display for many years to come.

Ken Pepke