<VV> Corvair Museum

George Jones 65crownv8 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 13:15:34 EDT 2008

James,

I appreciate your thoughts, wisdom and insight on this topic. One thing I am
concern about is that if enough people say "it can't be done because..."
then people will start believing it (not that that is what you were saying).
I believe a dedicated Corvair museum can be had. If it is in cooperation
with the YHM, that's fine. If it happens to be next door to the YHM, and
administered by the YHM/CPF organization, that's an added draw (visit 2 car
museums in one afternoon!). I think the Lottery ticket approach is just
foolishness. It's a great way to loose what money CPF has.

A dedicated CPF museum won't come about this year, next year, or
possibly even in my lifetime, but it can happen. Yes, there are a lot of
costs involved, as you pointed out, and as you hinted, the current CPF/CORSA
BoD combined arrangement won't help this to come about. No offense to the
BoD members, but you have to admit that being on both boards divides your
loyalties, and if it doesn't, you're not serving BOTH organizations as you
should.
The Tidewater Corvair Club has been working on a fund raiser to benefit CPF,
and has raised in excess of $10K towards this goal. Yeah, $10K is a drop in
the bucket, but it's a start. If one or two clubs each year could repeat
this effort, in 10 year, we could have a serious start. Maybe an
unsolicitied request from CPF to Jay Leno and Tim Allen (the only two well
known Corvair owners I know with deep enough pockets, and who may need a tax
write off) for possible donations is in order. Maybe they will buy the
naming rights? "The Jay Leno/Tim Allen Corvair Preservation Museum" has a
nice ring to it.

--

George Jones