<VV> CPF Museum

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 12 15:46:33 EDT 2008

See comments in text:

and it had to fold up.  Created problems but nobody in CORSA got hurt.
What makes anybody think there isn't another deal like that around.  If the
owners business went belly up we could gather out toys and put them back in
storage where they would bring the same pleasure they do now.  None.

Actually, we DID lose something. When I delivered #5999 to Richmond, I also
left a full set of NOS engine pads, in the GM box, for the car. They
weren't installed, as the engine compartment needed cleaning up. When the
VA site was closed, the car was on loan for display at a Corvair meet, so
it never returned to VA. However, the box with the NOS engine padding
disappeared. And you just cannot get the original, pristine stuff anymore,
at any price. So I am highly wary of storing CPF property with anyone, or
especially a business. Not that I don't trust certain people like Pete or
Tony, but rather that I realize the full implications of Murphy's law. Even
with the best of intentions, historical items can and occasionally DO get
lost. And this is not the only instance it's happened to CPF property. I
know, because I witnessed it all.

>   Lastly I agree that we should separate the leadership of CPF from CORSA
as much as possible.  CORSA management and BOD has a full plate and don't
need the additional trauma of worrying about CPF having a museum.  Probably
a great percentage of them don't care one way or the other.  That is not
the kind of leadership and interest that will dedicate themselves to seeing
it happen.
>   I am not going to say that nobody has investigated options since the
Yipselenti agreement was reached, but would you care to bet me on it?

My own opinion is that the CORSA/CPF board, being staffed as it is, is
something of a paranoid and/or political arrangement. I really don't have
that much confidence in the arrangement, and for more and other reasons
than you cite. Just my opinion, though.

-Mar