<VV> Steering box question

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sun Jun 15 13:56:22 EDT 2008

Sam asked:
Can a 67-69 steering box be rebuilt so it can be used on a 66. Other than
the length of the shaft coming out of the box are there any other things
different between the boxes like mounting holes ?

Craig Replies:
Yes, that can be done, but the shaft is a pretty expensive component, since
the part inside the box is the complex worm gear.  If you have an excellent
box that you just want to use, you can make a custom intermediate shaft with
parts available from outfits like "RBs Oblsolete.com
http://rbsobsolete.com/product.asp?Product_id=156708
or direct from Borgeson.

Seth Emerson is something of an expert in these matters and can probably
help you with your questions sethracer at aol.com

If you are planning on rebuilding that box and just happen to have a '67
box, you can have a '66 box that I have for shipping cost only; I have no
need for it.

Craig Nicol