<VV> defeatable Capacitor Discharge

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jun 17 11:03:33 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/17/2008 7:35:08 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
FrankCB at aol.com writes:

The  point is that I installed the switch  myself "just in case" the
electronics failed.  Not a bad idea especially if  you have a  non-tech
person
regularly driving the car.
Thanks for  reminding me of times long past.
Frank "long memory for some  things"  Burkhard

The "Delta Mark 10" - was the Grand-daddy of all the user installed bolt-on
Capacitor Discharge units. Delta's next model was the "Mark 10 B". That unit
had  a little button on the side of it that defeated the CD and returned the
car to a  regular points-style ignition. There were dozens of DIY systems
available, such  was the state of points-type ignition in the 1960's. Chrysler made
the first big  move to electronics, then GM and Ford in the early 70's. One of
the problems  with using points to trigger a Capacitor, was that the current
going across the  points was very small. One of the "features" of those
systems was the points  would last forever because no arcing occurred since the
current was low. But the  least amount of dirt or other crud on the points and you
were stuck. With  the normal current of a standard ignition systems, crud
would be blown off  the points, and/or the current would jump around it. Most
Corvair distributors  have enough oil and stuff blowing around inside them -
especially after 40  years. I have opened up distributors and wondered how the
heck the motor even  ran!  - Seth  Emerson