<VV> dual pertronix claim (Flight engine)

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Tue Jun 17 21:50:50 EDT 2008

[SNIP]

Well, Mr. Wynne is not using dual Pertronix from what I saw on the linked
page. It is a redundant points set coupled with a crane optical trigger.  I
think his fixed plate design is not useful in car distributors as there is
no provision for advance / retard.

Crawford

I don't claim to be any type of expert on William Wynne's stuff but....

The points plate is not fixed. He carefully replaces the advance weights and
springs and uses a distributor machine to achieve the proper advance curve
for the RPM range that a flight engine will obtain. He also adds an
additional bushing to base of the distributor for better tracking. Don't
take my words for it. If you look at the links below, you will get a better
picture of what he is doing.

http://flycorvair.com/distributor.html

and..

http://flycorvair.com/distributordual.html

Yes Crawford, you're right. His design is NOT for street. It is purposely
modified for operation in flight engines. As for not using Pertronix, you're
right again. I did not read anything on his choice of electronics. However,
I'd bet he tried many types and brands of electronics before he came to his
final production model. I do know that he did vast research and flight
testing before he put the item on the market. That's just his R&D style.

I'm not looking for any type of argument. I just thought the original post
would interest some people. I also want the info to be correct, thus the
links. We already have too many myths going around the Corvair family.

Dave Thompson