<VV> coil problems

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Thu Jun 19 18:23:01 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul" <paulm at tdl.com>
Subject: <VV> coil problems

> I'm getting ready to start my 140 after a complete engine rebuild.  I
thought I would check the coil.  When I apply 12 V to the - and + terminals
of the coil, I get a very inconsistent (usually no) and weak spark from the
wire that would go to the center of the distributor cap> Paul Michalczyk
*********
Playing with it slowly at 12 volts shouldnt get it hot or hurt it.

You should get a biggest spark when you * BREAK ( stop ) * the 12 volt
input, not when you first hook it up.  Apply voltage for a second, then pull
the input 12 volt wire off .. you should get a good snap at the grounded
plug ( wire ) .

Coils are cheap enough to get another new one and compare them ...  you need
to carry a spare anyway ...  oh, it is common that distributor wires get
bad, so buy a new cap-coil wire while you are at it; be a good spare also.

hope this helps; ken campbell, weak sparking in Iowet