<VV> coil problems

Paul paulm at tdl.com
Thu Jun 19 16:50:03 EDT 2008

I'm getting ready to start my 140 after a complete engine rebuild.  I thought I would check the coil.  When I apply 12 V to the - and + terminals of the coil, I get a very inconsistent (usually no) and weak spark from the wire that would go to the center of the distributor cap when it is connected to a sparkplug which is grounded to the engine block.  Is this normal?  I want to start the engine on its engine stand to make it easier to check for leaks and adjust the valves.  I intend to connect a battery negative to the engine block with a piece of four gauge battery cable, the positive battery cable will be connected to the starter, a pushbutton start switch from the battery positive to the purple wire in the mini harness which connects to the starter, and a 14 gauge wire from the battery positive to the coil positive.  Is this appropriate?  Will it hurt anything to run 12 V to the coil, without going through a resistor?

Thanks for your help.

Paul Michalczyk