<VV> Main Bearings - how perfect does the surface need to be?

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 00:12:21 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/20/2008 3:32:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
jhebrink at anvilcom.com writes:

Upon  closer inspection, I determined that these bearings were rubbing
against  each other in transit and it even appears that the sharp corners of
some  had scratched and put dents into the surfaces of others.

My question  is: How important is it that face, or crank side of the bearings
be  perfectly smooth?

Jedd,
In my opinion, the surfaces that contact the crank should not have any
raised portions due to gouges. Small indentations won't hurt. if there are any
raised portions einther file them down or gently tap them back in with a small
hammer (ball peen is best). Just remember that you want a constant clearance of
 about 0.002 in. between the journal and the bearing.
Scratches probably are all Okay because they likely contain no raised
material.
Regards,
Bob Helt