<VV> Main Bearings - how perfect does the surface need to be?

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sat Jun 21 10:41:47 EDT 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 12:12 AM, BobHelt at aol.com wrote:

> Jedd,
> In my opinion, the surfaces that contact the crank should not have any
> raised portions due to gouges. Small indentations won't hurt. if
> there are any
> raised portions einther file them down or gently tap them back in
> with a small
> hammer (ball peen is best). Just remember that you want a constant
> clearance of
> about 0.002 in. between the journal and the bearing.
> Scratches probably are all Okay because they likely contain no raised
> material.

Interesting scenario. But Bob, if there's a scratch, that means
there's an actual groove or gouge in the metal. You say that's okay,
but that there shouldn't be any metal sticking up. But, if there's a
groove, where did the metal go that was in the groove? Was it removed?
Was it compressed? Was it raised? It seems to me these are the only
possibilities and that the last one, that the metal was raised is the
most likely scenario. So, if there's a scratch and the metal was
raised, then the clearance is no  longer constant, right?

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC