<VV> Watches (not much Corvair)

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Sat Jun 21 07:46:00 EDT 2008

In 1966 while stationed at Bien Hoa Air Base, Republic of Vietnam I had a
Timex of unknown origin on which the wrist band had rotted off from exposure
to hydraulic fluid and gun oil from the F-100D aircraft I worked on. I kept
it attached to the inside of my fatigue blouse pocket with a safety pin.
During a mortar attack someone actually stole it from my bunk. The crystal
was so badly scratched you could hardly read it. Wonder if it is still
running...
I replaced it with the required Seiko self wind which, succumbed later on to
the severe vibrations of a Rototiller while cultivating a garden patch.
Rick

> We used a Bulova Accutron watch, taped to the top of the control
> cosole, for accurate time at the radio station I was assigned to in
> Vietnam.
> The power seldom ran at the proper frequency (60 Hz) so electric  clocks
> were never correct. Our frequency meter usually indicated between 58  and
> 59 1/2 Hz.
> The Accutron was a marvel. Dead on accurate. When we flipped the switch
> for the network news the familiar three short and one long beep of the
> AFVN
> time signal was always right there followed immediately by the news.
> Mandatory Corvair content: By the time I was drafted at 19 in 1966 I  had
> already owned 2 Corvairs. A tourquise 1962 Monza Coupe 102/4 Sp and
> a silver 1964 Spyder Convertible Turbo/4 Sp.
 I guess I was already hooked on American technology.