<VV> Thanks to all, weight of oil bath oil, lower shrouds

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 24 18:01:06 EDT 2008

      First, I want to thank everyone who chimed in on the low mpg /
carburetor balancing - Unisync / ignition advance thread(s).  I STILL
haven't been able to get to actually do anything on it yet (wife,
three year old son, and month old daughter needing more attention),
but I do have nine pages of advice / procedures on the subjects to
take  to the garage along with my Basics book, the '65 service
manual, and my dad's old Unisync to use to confirm the adjustment.  I
plan to try to do the balancing either tonight or in the next couple
of days.  I WILL take careful observations and let everyone know what
I find out.
      I was wondering something though, what weight oil should go in
the oil bath filter (currently has 30W - thought I read somewhere -
90W was recommended) and would THAT have any effect on the gas mileage?
      And, would putting the lower shrouds back on (and improving the
door operation per the article in the Nov. 2007 Communique) improve
mileage as it would take a shorter time to warm up?  I'm getting VERY
cool running temperatures (often not getting the oil to 212 degrees
on drives of less than 15-20 miles - another concern due to the water
in the oil not dissipating and forming acids) even though it's summer
weather (HOT) here in Dallas, Tx.

You guys are teaching me a lot - thanks again,

Stephen Upham
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110, Sierra Tan, Saddle