<VV> Thanks to all, weight of oil bath oil, lower shrouds

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 00:48:41 EDT 2008

Stephen,

Here is my opinion on your two questions.

1.)  It doesn't matter what oil you use.  The way  the oil bath filter works
is when the dirty air flows across the surface of the  oil, any particles that
come in contact with the sticky oil will stay there and  the air that flows
to the regular air filter has that much less "stuff" to clog  it.  A heavier
weight oil will not increase the filtering capability.   Use the cheapest oil
possible.  Why waste money?  I have heard that  some folks use waste oil from
their oil changes in the oil bath filter.   The reasoning behind this is that
the oil filter has kept particulate matter out  of the used oil.  The reason for
changing the old oil is because the  molecule chains have broken down and the
lubrication capability has been  reduced.  However, it is still plenty sticky
enough to pick up particles  from the air.  However, you can get cheapo oil
for 50 or 60 cents a quart  on sale so it is not a big deal to use the new
stuff.

2.)  I agree that 212 degrees F is not high enough to  boil off the water,
etc. from the engine.  You may also be shortening the  life of your exhaust
system.  Unfortunately, it is likely that your engine  oil would not get much
hotter in 15 minutes even with the replaced shrouds but  you may want to give it a
try.  Do you periodically drive long distance or  is the short drive the vast
majority of the Corvair's use?  Does the oil  temperature increase
significantly on these longer trips?  Is your oil  temperature gauge accurate?  You may
want to consider taking a longer route  home from work or wherever you drive
to heat the engine up to an acceptable  level.

Good luck,

Doc
'60 Corvette; '61 Rampside; '62 Rampside; '64 Spyder coupe;  '65 Greenbrier;
'66 Corsa turbo coupe; '67 Nova SS; '68 Camaro  ragtop
In a message dated 6/24/2008 6:31:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  6