<VV> Watches (a little more Corvair)

Gary & Susan Lowell sglowell10 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 25 21:35:10 EDT 2008

I am struck by how many of us have Bulova Accutron's. My Spaceview
was a graduation gift in 1969 when I got my engineering degree and
has been rebuilt once. I wear it to this day and I can't tell you the
number of conversations it has started over the years.
The seemingly high number of Bulova Accutron's in our group drew me
to a couple of interesting conclusions:
1. We all are of about the same age (old farts!) so that the Accutron
was our then-new symbol of our generations great new optimism -
engineering could change anything - even the way we kept time.
2. The Accutron was a fresh idea - a new way to look at the problem
of keeping time - much like the Corvair was a fresh look at efficient
and fun transportation. Both were to be overtaken in the marketplace
by less complicated, less daring, less sophisticated and less
expensive products that the marketplace long ago deemed as "acceptable".
Come to think of it I like my Accutron and my Corvair for very
similar reasons. They are both different from what the masses
accepted, they are both represent products that pushed their
respective engineering envelopes and they both had companies that
were willing to take a risk to bring these envelope-pushing product
to the market.
Any thoughts?
Gary Lowell
65 Corsa Convert