<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 41, Issue 90

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Wed Jun 25 20:27:30 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

> In a message dated 6/20/2008 3:32:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> jhebrink at anvilcom.com writes:
>
> Upon closer inspection, I determined that these bearings were rubbing
> against each other in transit and it even appears that the sharp corners of
> some had scratched and put dents into the surfaces of others.
>
> My question is: How important is it that face, or crank side of the bearings
> be perfectly smooth?

Hand work with stones and abrasive paper sometimes produces a shiny bump.
Trying to wear down a bump with a lengthy gentle break-in is risky by itself.
Totaly Babying the rings is not such a good idea either.

I've used a procedure similar to the one described here to "blue" galled integral cam bearings in a SOHC Volvo engine, and check all kinds of housings for serviceably flat mating faces, and to check and correct 2 stroke motor cycle heads' flatness.  A sharpie or magic marker is lots easier to see, but a little thicker than real bluing (seriously!  "mike" measure a shaft or piston ring, then paint one side with marker and re-measure) .

http://books.google.com/books?id=TXEMMgByjfIC&pg=PA115&lpg=PA115&dq=bluing+bearings&source=web&ots=O8jkAAwxRc&sig=B-oauyUfyfhUn7jIQNXTyfCSWek&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA