<VV> sealing crankcase halves

Shari Hebrink shamo at anvilcom.com
Thu Jun 26 19:11:06 EDT 2008

Here is a really dumb question - but I would feel a lot dumber if I got the
engine back together and found out it was leaking oil because I didn't seal
it properly.  Referring to my Corvair Chassis Shop Manual. on page 6-32,
point number 5 says "Seal crankcase parting line ends with sealer and
install Left crankcase half to right crankcase half."  Are they really
suggesting using a sealer between the two crankcase halves, and if so, what
type is recommended?  When I disassembled this engine, there was no sign of
any sealer ever between the two halves.  It seems to me that every "seam"
between the two halves is covered by a gasketed joining to another component
or plate.

Please advise.  As always, the collective (and individual) wisdom of this
group is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Jedd

Jedd Hebrink
rebuilding my daughter's 66 Monza 110HP PG

Checked by AVG.
4:13 PM