<VV> Frustrating weekend, continued

Cliff tibbitts at qx.net
Sat Jun 28 20:39:30 EDT 2008

John, I don't know if it's one in a million, but I managed to bust a
crankshaft in half on my dad's 61 Rampy.  I was driving it home sometime in
the early 70's, can't remember exact year when the truck, all of a sudden
started to vibrate.  This truck had been to hell and back and still ran
great up until that night.  Fortunately, I did not shut it off.  I could
manage about 40 or 45 MPH and got it to limp home, about 10 miles.  The next
morning I pulled the top cover and sure enough the crank had broken in half,
just as you describe it, right across the web.

The next Monday while talking to the electrician next door, I discovered
that he had just replaced the engine in his 62 Greenbriar with a car engine.
I never asked what car engine but assumed it was a more powerful engine than
the old 80 HP.  He gave me his old engine and I swapped them out the
following weekend and drove that truck for a couple of more years before we
sold it to a friend.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY