<VV> Engine Won't Start

Ed Orbea ed.orbea at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 12:51:57 EDT 2008

This might be "yet another newbie question", so your responses will be
appreciated.
Due to stuck float on my 62 Corvair Monza (64 RD engine) I talked with
Wolf Enterprises who sent me a refurnished set of carbs. I followed the
instructions regarding the installation. When I was checking for fuel
leaks, by cranking the engine, I removed the coil wire between the dist
and the coil, to ensure the engine didn't start. I did have a fuel leak
on the left side, so I used the dental floss idea that was referenced in
the Wolf Enterprises documentation to repair the leak.

After installing the dental floss, I again cranked the engine to check
if all leaks were fixed, which they were. I then installed the coil wire
and attempted to start the engine (again following the instructions).

I am unable to start the engine. It cranks fine, good oil pressure, fuel
does flow, but no ignition. The points in my dist were replaced with a
Pertronic's "pointless set", so does anybody know if removing the coil
wire between the dist and the coil, causes the Pertronic system to fail,
or is there some other obvious item I am overlooking.

Additionally, when working on non-Corvair engines (small or big block
Chevy cast iron) you can remove the plug lire, and "ground" it against
the block to check for spark, but with a Corvair engine, the shrouding
and the engine design, I do not know if this trick can be done. So if
anybody has the steps to do the same testing on a Corvair, I would
appreciate them sharing them with me. The more details the better, so as
to ensure I don't screw something up.

Thanks

Ed Orbea