<VV> PG Cable

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Sun Mar 2 08:54:04 EST 2008

Frank DuVal on Saturday, March 1st, writes:

"Is there a source for several hundred affordable PG cables left?"

Frank, I suppose that depends on one's definition of "affordable" - always a
tricky subject when talking to Corvair owners, accustomed, as we have been
for so many years, to having so many prematurely abandoned vehicles to
scavenge for cheap parts.  However, time takes its toll on all things,
rubber and plastic being no exception.

Clark's Corvair Parts still sells brand new PG cables, "reproduced by the
original manufacturer" for around $190.  Granted, this may seem to be a lot
of money, compared to the cost of a roll of tape, a tube of Silicone, a
piece of hose and a pair of clamps, or a section of heat-shrink tube.
However, if the purchase helps keep this or other new parts being
manufactured for our cars, perhaps the cost is not so excessive.

Mind you, I do understand the need for fiscal responsibility when we are
faced with so many potentially expensive choices when repairing or restoring
our beloved but ageing vehicles.  Anyway, consider the big picture, next
time you think about repair vs. replacement, especially when you later find
yourself looking for that hard to find wheel bearing, oil filter, or some
other arcane part.

Personally, for myself, I have done it both ways.  My daily driven Corvairs
have had the cables repaired, while my show car has a new cable.

Bill Hubbell