<VV> NO Vair - 95 escort GT 1.8 timing marks help

aircooled6 at prodigy.net aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Wed Mar 5 22:05:58 EST 2008

Im hoping someone out there can tell me if I am missing the point or???

The kids 95 escort GT died pulling into a parking lot.  The GT has
the 1.8 ltr mazda motor, not the 1.9 ford unit.  Checked the usual
suspects, its getting fuel, its getting spark, and it HAD
compression, but it appeared that the timing belt may have jumped a
bit.   I was busy on another car (vair content!!) and didnt watch
them take it apart, so didnt see where the cam pulleys were aligned.
Engine had enough compression to prevent it from turning while we
loosened the crank pulley, but once the plugs were pulled, it has
zippo in 3 of the four holes and about 15 lbs in the fourth.  I went
back over the install procedure for the belt with them and it LOOKS
like we have it right, but still no compression as above.  The
diagrams in the various books and web pages is kinda vague as they
say align the pointers on the cam pulleys with the tabs on the
backing plate.  OK.  There are several marks on the pulleys.  I
picked the ones that it looked like the book was suggesting, but I am
wondering if I am wrong.   Can anyone please shed some light on
this?   I used the marks that are on the pulleys where the I and E
are upright.   I am ready to torch this thing, but thought I would
try here first.

Thanks in advance.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX