<VV> Dang 40 yr old aluminum !!!!

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 22:24:14 EST 2008

"They just don't make'em like they used to."

If you don't remember, I dropped the intake valve seat on #5 last year, tore up a KB piston/ring set.  Had ALL the intakes done at a local shop, which we trust - had dozens of heads done at this place before for brothers other 'real' customers.  Had a persistent tick on #5 the entire time since.  Didn't seem to affect the running of the engine, but it's never had the power it should have.  Been thinking over compressed valve spring (Did them myself) or possibly improperly installed valve guide. (did those myself as well)

Car was running pretty good up to a couple of months ago even with the tick.  Stopped on the way home.. skipped the rest of the way, lost a lot of power.  Didn't mess with it - parked it.  Bought a house in Dec that I had to finish and move into, cars on the back burner til further notice.  (still moving out of old house and current house isn't 'finished')

I was hoping to go to St. Augustine for the SECC autox.  Brother looks it over since I don't have time.  Played with carbs, timing, etc.  Ran good for 2 mins... like crap for 2 mins... good for 1, bad for 3, repeat ad nausem.  We diagnosed fully tonight and disassembled - dropped exhaust valve seat on #2.  It didn't disintegrate luckily.  It's been like that a while, pounded the head the pieces.  Must have been resetting itself to run well for a while, then would cock for a while.

Decided to remove the other head to have the exhaust seats done at the same time.  Care to guess before I tell you ?  #5 intake seat out again.  Again, no disintegration but it's deformed the head as well.

So, the bad seat areas will be welded up tomorrow, taken to the machine shop for 6 new exhaust valve seats and one more intake again.  After that, we'll weld a small bead around them to hold them.  (Is there a real need to run a bead around the entire seat or is two 1/4" beads 180 degrees apart enough?  3 beads at 120 degrees?)

Yes, we'll check the valve guides, especially of the ones that dropped.

If it happens again, I promise you I will sell everything but my convertible VERY CHEAPLY and go play with something else, most likely a Factory Five GTM kit car!Barry Ellison
... more than my share of dropped valve seats.  sassafrackin' frickin' 40 yr old aluminum!!!