<VV> [SCG] Need help with seat belt identification

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 6 10:09:57 EST 2008

Rick,

Here is what I know about seat belts. Hope this helps some.

On '67's there were two revisions (designs) to them. One replaced the
"first design" outer front spade straps (which I call a "throw down" strap
design) with built-in retractors. This "second design" outboard spade strap
was used on all mid '67-on cars, both Monza and 500. The other revision
(which happened on a different date) changed the buckle emblem from the
Fisher Body coach to the GM mark of excellence emblem. This was true on
both the standard and deluxe belts. When ordering replacement belts, one
would order the outside and inside belt assemblies separately, and
designate which design (first or second) they were.

The standard belts all used color-keyed buckle covers. The deluxe belts all
used brush-finished metal buckles. Whether there was any notable difference
in their design or appearance over the three years, I don't know for sure.
I haven't actually compared them year-to-year. But I guess it's high time
that be done. All webbing and standard belt buckle covers were color keyed
to the interior color, regardless of series or year.

As far as an exact description of the emblems goes, a picture is worth a
thousand words. I believe there are pictures of the deluxe belts in my '67
4door in the last issue of SCG newsletter that might be helpful.

-Mark